Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Checking in...

Hi everyone! I'm writing this message from a timed computer kiosk at my hostel tonight, so I have to complete this message in 15 minutes or less or else the system will shut down. Good thing I can type quickly...

I'm in Fox Glacier, on the South Island, where I'll be staying for a few nights. I just came off of a 10-hour bus ride through some of the most awesome terrain and scenery I've ever seen, which is pretty much the norm and not the exception around these parts. I'll obviously do a more detailed post for each day of the journey once I'm back in Auckland and don't have a 15 minute time limit, but everything has gone well so far and I haven't missed any of my transport yet. One of my roommates tonight is actually good friends with someone I know back home, which is either a huge coincidence or something that was bound to happen eventually.

I also saw a kiwi a few days ago! (Actually, two of them). Another story best saved for another post, but the short version is that I went on a nighttime tour of a bird sanctuary in Wellington with this German guy I had roomed with the previous night in my hostel. We heard all sorts of cool birds and stuff, and a couple of times, the guides used their red LED flashlights (or torches) to point out the rare kiwis that were hiding in the bushes. It was super cool, and something I didn't think I was going to see while I was here.

Stay tuned for more posts with photos when I get back from the trip (or if one of the hostels gives out free internet). Have to go now, internet is about to run out...

1 comment:

  1. Who is the friend?!

    Also, do you know how lucky you are to see a Kiwi, let alone two?! People go on trips to New Zealand for birdwatching and don't always see them!

    ReplyDelete