Friday, July 23, 2010

Whangarei



Whangarei seemed to be a typical New Zealand town, with a 5 km-long central main street, called Bank Street, filled with two-story shops, cafes, and offices. Right next to the bus stop was a little open-air mall called The Strand. On the other side of the rows of shops, there was this nice little pedestrian area.


About a kilometer past the town center was the Town Basin, a really cool harbor area.


After I arrived, I immediately walked a kilometer down to the i-Site that I had seen from the window of the bus. i-Sites are information centers that are located in basically every town of any size and have maps and directions.

As an aside, I should probably mention what it's like being a pedestrian in New Zealand. The first challenge for someone from the US is knowing which way to look when one crosses the street. I think I finally have the knack of looking over my right shoulder instead of my left when I cross (a good guide is looking at which direction cars are parked), but every so often a car comes out of somewhere that surprises me. Pedestrians never seem to have the right of way here except in crosswalks when crossing signals are on. A number of times I've been walking and encountered a car pulling out of a driveway 10 meters from me, or making a turn. In any US city, the car would wave the pedestrian on, but here, cars just continue to zoom along. Adding to the danger is that crosswalks are often few and far between, located only at traffic lights. So, walking to the i-Site, I had a couple of interesting crossings at a rotary and elsewhere.

I grabbed a bunch of brochures at the i-Site and looked them over at lunch. I was originally planning to go to Whangarei Falls, which the i-Site billed as "the most photogenic waterfalls in NZ," but it was a 5km walk one-way and I didn't feel like hiring (renting) a bike. Instead, I decided that I'd walk up to the lookout point of Mt. Parihaka.


Mt. Parihaka is a ~1000 ft. "mount" that overlooks Whangarei. The path to the top starts in Mair Park, which was a nice little recreation area. Behind a carpark emerged a stream, with a pedestrian footbridge over some murky water inhabited by some very perky ducks (ducks and gulls seem to be very loud and aggressive here). From there, I chose the "Hammond Trail," named after some conservation guy who had done something for the park. The sign promised "1.3 km, 1,650 steps."


As one might expect, each of those 1,650 steps was uphill. The path was well-maintained, but there were hundreds of wood-faced steps leading up to the top. The walk (combined with trying to walk anywhere in Auckland, the city of hills) was yet another reminder that my fitness level degraded from "below average" to "poor" over the summer.


Halfway up, during one of my frequent rest breaks, I heard a strange bird sound. I took off my headphones, and even with my below-amateur-level birding ability, was able to easily spot the bird on a tree 20 meters away. The bird was producing a ton of different vocalizations, and had distinctive white tufts of feathers on its neck. As I found through an internet search later, I think I was looking at a tui, who are, according to Wikipedia, "known for their noisy, unusual call, different for each individual, that combine bellbird-like notes with clicks, cackles, timber-like creaks and groans, and wheezing sounds—the unusual possession of two voiceboxes enable Tui to perform such a myriad of vocalisations."

After huffing and puffing up the hill for an hour, I finally reached the summit and lookout point. As with all of these mountain walks, the climb always leads to a nice reward--in this case, a view of the whole of Whangarei.



Forgive the lighting on this shot, I obviously didn't take this picture
There was a car park right near the lookout point so that shlubs could drive up to the summit rather than walk, and a few people started to filter in as I was standing at the lookout point. A nice guy, his wife, their infant, and a teenage girl (who, from their conversation, seemed to be an exchange student who had just moved in with the family) came up to me as soon as I reached the summit.

Guy: "Hello"
Me: "Hi, how's it going" (My first mistake...I should have said "How you going")
Guy (immediately): "Where are you from?"
Me: "The U.S."
Guy: "Oh, I guessed wrong."
Me: "Where did you think I was from?"
Guy: "I was going to say Germany."

I don't really know what to make of that.

Another priceless conversation:

Guy: "What part of the States are you from?"
Me: "Boston."
Guy: "Oh, I don't know much about Boston....Boston Legal...the Celtics! {Ed. note: the only basketball jerseys available on this island seem to be Paul Pierce Celtics jerseys from five years ago} Oh! The Boston Tea Party, right??"
Me: "Yeah"
Guy: "I have no idea what that is."

After taking my fill of the view, I descended Mt. Paranaki and walked around the town for the next few hours. Frustrating note: all of New Zealand seems to close at 4pm (especially on Saturdays). Nothing seems to be open at all on Sunday. I literally walked around the center of town for an hour and only encountered two open restaurants (Pizza Hut and KFC). New Zealand has a great cafe culture, but it all seems to shut down after lunch, and even cities as big as Auckland can become ghost towns when the sun sets.

I also wanted to go in this store, but a picture will have to suffice.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike!!!

    I'm loving your blog so far! (Dan's been reading it with me and we agree that we feel almost as if we're there and you're the awesome tour guide!) It seems like every picture you take of the scenery is beautiful!! (Very lotr...) I'm still hoping that you get to go on that lord of the rings tour (I'm selfishly hoping to live vicariously through your pictures). I love that picture of the stairs on your path up the mount! (just thought I should tell you that... it was my favorite from this post.)

    Can't wait to see you again!

    -Amanda B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a funny thing. When my family and I went to random places in Europe the locals would always assume we were German. Idk what it is, we just had "the look", I guess. Oh, and things closing early is always a plague, too. I'm guessing people really like KFC there, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny how different every country is. People tell me that in Spain, some restaurants don't even open until 9 or 10 p.m.

    Ok, a few observations. First of all, all I can think of while you were talking about the difficult crosswalk situation is how you already seem to get stressed crossing American roads! Ha ha, I can't imagine what it's like for you actually having to work to find a crosswalk.

    Your fitness demonstrates that we need to return to Ultimate Frisbee next summer.

    Thank you HUGELY for the bird report! I know you knew I would appreciate that. That's so awesome! A Tui! A New Zealand endemic! Now you have a bird I don't! By the way, here's a historical excerpt from Captain Cook's journal about the Tui:

    "Under its throat hang two little tufts of snow-white feathers, called poies, which being the Otaheitean word for ear-rings, occasioned our giving that name to the bird; which is not more remarkable for the beauty of its plumage than the sweetness of its note. The flesh is also most delicious and was the greatest luxury the wood afforded us."

    Also, now I can tell you're a photography snob. Oh, of course YOU couldn't have taken that picture because of the TERRIBLE lighting, ha ha! That other guy who took the picture had no concept of composition or balance. What an amateur.

    That conversation with that guy is hilarious. But not as hilarious as "The Baby Factory"! That's better than "The Ham Store"!

    Nice work. You should go back when you're fitter and see the waterfalls!

    It's good! Longest "comment" ever!

    ReplyDelete